St. Mary's Youth Group Mission Statement: “Set youth on fire for Christ by teaching the truth and glorifying God in all or our thoughts, words and actions.”
The mission statement was formulated by the St Mary’s Youth during our Fall Retreat of 2007. This is used as a guide to determine the focus of our program and to help us continually evaluate the effectiveness of the ministry.
The Goals of the Youth Group are based upon our mission statement.
1. Involvement in the St Mary’s High School Ministry will help our parish youth develop an intense, sincere and vibrant relationship with the Lord Jesus.
2. Our Parish High School program will always teach the truth as established by the Holy Catholic Church.
3. Our program, our directors, volunteers and youth will always Glorify God in our thoughts, words and actions.
Just as every parish has a unique charism, every Parish Youth Program possesses its’ own unique characteristics. To describe the character of the St Mary’s High School Ministry, I would say that our Youth Group is a family. We are supportive and nurturing to each other. We challenge each other to holiness. We are serious about our Faith, and when we are together, we are serious about having Fun! You would find our group Joyful, Friendly, and Dynamic.
We meet every Sunday during the schoo year from 6:00 to 8:00 pm in Pazdan Hall. The structure of our weekly meetings include Dinner provided by members of our youth group, Ice Breaker or Sport Games, Time of Study or Q&A with Scripture and the Catechism, and Time of Praise and Worship Music with group prayer. Our typical Sunday night meetings are attended by 40 to 50 youth.
In the Fall of each year we have registration with a modest fee of $25.00 per student.
This fee will cover the required Diocesan Insurance as well as a little extra to go toward the Youth Ministry Budget.
The High School Ministry is involved in a list of special activities that occur throughout the year. These activities include but are not limited to:
- Open House Picnic for Parish Youth, fall
- Fall Retreat in the Mountains of North Carolina
- Providing the Sunday Meal for Greenville's Homeless at Project Host once a year
- Providing the 8th Grade Confirmation Retreat for St. Mary's
- Praying for those interred in Sacred Heart Columbarium during the week of All Souls Day
- Christmas caroling and gift giving at Magnolia Manor Assisted Living Facility
- Attending the National March for Life
- Attending Winter Jam, an annual concert of Christian musicians
- Diocesan Youth Conference in March
- Annual Kickball Game against Parish College Students, spring/summer
- Annual End of Year Kayaking trip on the Green River
- Public Square Meeting downtown Greenville two times per year (weather permitting).
In addition Father Newman provides a time of Adoration and Confession just for our Youth Group during Advent. During Lent, those who go will attend Adoration and Confession at the Diocesan Youth Conference.
Want More Information?
Director of Youth Ministry