The Mission Statement of St Mary’s Youth Group explains our purpose: “Set youth on fire for Christ by teaching the truth and glorifying God in all or our thoughts, words and actions.”
The mission statement was formulated by the St Mary’s Youth during our Fall Retreat of 2007. This is used as a guide to determine the focus of our program and to help us continually evaluate the effectiveness of the ministry.
The Goals of the Youth Group are based upon our mission statement.
1. Involvement in the St Mary’s High School Ministry will help our parish youth develop an intense, sincere and vibrant relationship with the Lord Jesus.
2. Our Parish High School program will always teach the truth as established by the Holy Catholic Church.
3. Our program, our directors, volunteers and youth will always Glorify God in our thoughts, words and actions.
Just as every parish has a unique charism, every Parish Youth Program possesses its’ own unique characteristics. To describe the character of the St Mary’s High School Ministry, I would say that our Youth Group is a family. We are supportive and nurturing to each other. We challenge each other to holiness. We are serious about our Faith, and when we are together, we are serious about having Fun! You would find our group Joyful, Friendly, and Dynamic.
We meet every Sunday from 6:00 to 8:00 pm in McGrady Hall, which is the undercroft of the church. The structure of our weekly meetings include Dinner provided by members of our youth group, Ice Breaker or Sport Games, Time of Study with Scripture and the Catechism, and Time of Praise and Worship Music with group prayer. Our typical Sunday night meetings are attended by 40 to 50 youth.
In the Fall of each year we have registration with a modest fee of $25.00 per student.
This fee will cover the required Diocesan Insurance as well as a little extra to go toward the Youth Ministry Budget.
The High School Ministry is involved in a list of special activities that occur throughout the year. These activities include:
- Fall Retreat in the Mountains of North Carolina
- Providing the Sunday Meal for Greenville’s Homeless at Project Host three times a year
- Providing the 8th Grade Confirmation Retreat for St. Mary’s
Saturday Night Alive in Christ – two times per year, fall/winter
- Attending the National March for Life, every other year with St. Joseph’s High School
Diocesan Youth Conference in March
- Open House Picnic for Parish Youth, spring/summer
Annual Softball Game against Parish College Students, spring/summer
- Public Square Meeting downtown Greenville two times per year.
In addition Father Newman provides a time of Adoration and Confession just for our Youth Group three times per year.
Want More Information?
Director of Youth Ministry